Doug has been a strong leader statewide and locally for higher education
Elected to four terms on the Long Beach Community College Board of Trustees for Area 4, serving from 2004 to the present.
- Co-chaired the LBCC Presidential Search Committee in an inclusive, highly-touted college/community effort, which resulted in the hiring of current LBCC President/Superintendent Eloy Oakley.
- Co-chaired the very successful $440 million Facilities Bond Measure “E” bond campaign in 2008 that has resulted in a major revitalization of both campuses at LBCC. Measure E won by a landslide vote of 72%.
- Elected to the statewide California Community College Trustees Association (CCCT) by a vote of all California community college districts, where has served from 2009 to the present. Doug will serve as CCCT President in 2016-2017.
- Elected to the Community College League of California (CCLC) Board of Directors, a policy-making and educational oversight organization comprised of college trustees, college presidents, and chancellors. In May of 2016, Doug was elected unanimously to the presidency of the CCLC.
- Served on the statewide Community College Leadership Development Initiatives (CCLDI) Board from 2007 to 2009 to address leadership issues confronting California community colleges.
- Co-chair of the Community College League of California’s Task Force on the Future of Community Colleges, which resulted in the State Legislature’s passage of AB 2542 establishing the “Student Success” program in 2010.
- Selected as a LBCC Distinguished Alumnus in 2008 and , in 2009, inducted into the LBCC Hall of Fame.
- Received commendation jointly from LBCC and the LBCC Academic Senate in 2015 for providing leadership and inspiration for the LBCC LEAD Academy to develop a culture of leadership and engagement among management, faculty. and classified staff.